Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Taxpayers 'Soundoff' in the New Haven Register

In response to yesterday's 'Soundoff' question in the New Haven Register, by far the largest response was from West Haven residents, whose quotes included:
It's a bad situation. A lot of people are selling their homes -- Tex

I am trying to cope the best way I know how -- Vince

Mayor Picard stood on my doorstep with his family prior to the election and promised me faithfully he would reduce taxes. He is a liar. -- Jerry

I don't like it, but I believe in Mayor Picard. He is trying. -- J.

We have to cut back. And the city must cut back. Three fire departments make us the laughingstock of the nation, and they should be cut first. -- A.

It is a mandate by the state that makes us pay those high taxes. --Joe

West Haven needs to get its act together. There is no need for three fire chiefs. And the Board of Education needs to stop spending on things they don't need. --Mark

This city needs to get a rein on its sepnding or nobody is going to want to live here and it will be a ghost town. --Anthony

I am nearing retirement and instead of cutting back my work schedule, I am having to crank it up. --Elizabeth

It means my husband and I cannot retire next year as planned. --Barb

Picard will get paid when I get the money. --Mary

It would nice if all our fire chiefs would buy houses from the seniors who cannot afford the new tax rate. --Gene

I support John Picard. He is our only hope of lowering the taxes. --Rich

Nearly 2/3 of the informal poll respondants were from West Haven -- and only two of those stood behind the mayor.

This does illustrate, however, that residents do not separate city and fire district taxes in their mind - both take money out of West Haven taxpayer pockets.

2 comments:

West Haven Tax Payer said...

Thanks for the kind words. I actually started this blog not only because was I angry about the tax situation, but also because I thought it important to separate the facts from the hyperbole. It's a highly charged and emotional topic (and even I get going on rants from time to time); but I don't see why that should give people license to deviate from the actual facts. When I find that something that has been reported or published is not true, I make certain to let people know.

Right now, the blog is slowly spreading by word of mouth... so tell your friends! It's like the old Clairol commercial... "If you tell two of your friends, and they tell two of their friends and so on and so on and so on..."

I've also worked to get google to pick up the blog; try searching google.com for west haven taxes .

West Haven Tax Payer said...

p.s. if I may ask, how did you find this blog? :)