Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Response to Comments from Our New Reader, Amber

Well, it's interesting that most of the new posters have taken the position that (a) this blog is anti-Picard (it isn't), and (b) that I must be a Borer supporter. Here's a new poster named Amber, who was convinced that I wouldn't let (her?) comments come through:
This is to all West Haven Borer supporters who do not know what goes on in this town... This Tax payer site is made by the people on the borer ticket who didn't win...and Mr.wrightington the person someone previously commenting on looking dirty and just waking up..is a man who stands up for this town and his rights..because for 14 yrs you let someone you thought you could trust steal your money and lie to your face and now were paying for it becuase we are in a rut. You just let people brainwash you thinking Picard has to do with all this its all his fault, but in the end Mr.Wrightington is right and when checkers came in he prooved you all wrong who doubted Mr.Wrightington..Mr.Wrightington comes to those meetings dressed in his uniform because he is just as a hard worker as the next. How dear someone tonight at the meeting saying he should be behind bars! For what! While he passes out certain rude people who have not grown up make faces and and smile. How old are you? I know this blog won't be posted becuase I wrote good things about Mr.Wrightington and Picard...I least I know one person read it which is the person in charge of this site. Freedom of speech is really not free sense certain people don't let it made free!

First off, I think it's important to note that I do not personnally write all comments on this blog. Other people from the outside world come in and express their opinions, and often I'll discuss them through followups.

Secondly, I'm not a politician, and I'm not 'a person on the Borer ticket'. I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

I'm not a Borer sympathizer, or a Picard basher, or a Republican stalwart; I'm a truth seeker, and a believer that politicians are there to serve us, the taxpayers.

While I don't always agree with Mr. Wrightington's statements, and wish that he'd act from a position of progress and not emotional finger pointing (as he sometimes does), I do admire him. He's the everyday man who actually takes the time to try to understand his surroundings... to make certain that the people we've appointed are actually working for him. I worry that sometimes his statements are based on emotion instead of pure fact, though. Given the problem with the format of the town council meetings in that anyone can stand up and say anything, and if they are convincing enough, people will believe them, but have no way of knowing if the statement is fact or emotion, I think that fact checking is important.

I did not attend last evenings meeting, unfortunately, so I'm not certain about the series of event being discussed regarding Mr. Wrightington. My thoughts go out to him if he has collapsed at the meeting - I certainly wish him well.

1 comment:

West Haven Tax Payer said...

Glassman - this isn't West Haven Lover's blog - it's mine. S/he has made comments, and they don't necessarily reflect my own beliefs. I've published them because I'd like to hear a good discussion on the topic.

Ironically, this blog made the news not because of something I had stated, but because of commentary on the blog. I happen to not particularly have a problem with Mayor Picard maintaining his licensing. However, the concern that we are all facing is when he says one thing, and then does another (I'm going to devote 100% of my time to the city, but I still spend some time each month on my business), and when he practices political deception by stating that he's going to lower the mill rate (which he did because the town's revaluation), but in reality he's still raising the taxes significantly. If you think about it, that's a pretty good ploy if you know a revaluation is underway - make a campaign promise to lower the mill rate - lol.

I entirely agree that Mayor Borer caused a good portion of the current nightmare of a financial position we are in with bad bonding practices, and by bad accounting priciples. But I don't think we have all the facts as of yet.

In regard to solutions, please read the full blog, not just the current posts. I've gone through the budget, and there are places to cut. There are also places in the budget where Mayor Picard specifically stated that he is undervaluing income on purpose. There are places where there are unexplained increases (and I've gone through council meeting minutes to try to understand them.).

There are solutions on the table by the State that would help ease the tax burden in the short term. We don't have to recoup all of the monies at once.

Basically, this story isn't over - and this blog isn't bashing Picard. It's about trying to find ways that we CAN lower our taxes, and questioning the events that go out in our city that prevent that from taking place. It's not about admininstrations or political concerns... this is strictly started because I wanted to try and figure out where we all are going wrong.

I have ZERO political ambitions (you couldn't pay me enough to make me do it). I just want to have less taxes.