Monday, August 21, 2006

Psychobabble and Potpourri: Primary Day: Mayor Picard in the Driver's Seat

Mary from West Haven has posted on her blog about her encounter with Mayor Picard here:

Psychobabble and Potpourri: Primary Day: Mayor Picard in the Driver's Seat

In it, she talks about the human side of politics, and how Mayor Picard kindly fetched her car on a hot primary day, as well as her take on the Rally on the green.

And it really does occur to me - these people who are our politicians ARE human beings. And for the most part, they ALL want to do the right thing. This is why I have such a difficulty with negative campaigning - there are human beings behind the bashing - who whether or not they are elected, have personal, private lives.

I'd like to see us get BEYOND the name calling and the blame game - let's find solutions.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Thanks so much for your excellent and heartwarming comments to me...to US..ALL of us here who live in community. I believe that we have the power to STOP the nasty partisanship within both parties. If we can't do this at the grassroots level, then none of us should be surprised when we see it amongst our leaders. We ARE the leaders if we can support each other by practicing the basic values we say we believe in. We really CAN all get along. We all need each other in this town to be who we are so, I wonder if it makes sense to begin to dialogue using fact and intellect rather than power, yes, greed too, but it's power that's the true aphrodisiac...This is what we must understand. WE are the power..all of us together to save what we all have in common...our humanity, our piece of Heaven, our haven that is breathtakingly beautiful down at the shore we all love on the map of Connecticut and once we understand that, at our level and at the level of those we've seen captured not only by power but greed and $$...oops..sorry, have to fly...It's time for the Mike Malloy show on Air America Radio which I never miss..Why not this..why don't we, all of us, make a point of making sure we simply smile at a stranger we see on our streets here, our places of business, our social areas. Let's let that be the opener to the common understanding we have for that "other" and celebrate that with a smile. One week. We can all commit to it for one week. Right? The polarization is so divisive everwhere that I fear we must begin again at the basics.

It's my please to meet you and thank you for featuring my article on your blog. I appreciate that and if you don't mind, I'd like to return the compliment. As I'd said in the piece, I really do need to learn more about city government and I'll start with your blog - thanks for the invitation...I have to be able to put my money where I speak! LOL..Hello, West Haven!

West Haven Tax Payer said...

Mary -

Thanks so much for your kind words - you are more than welcome to put a post about LowerWestHavenTaxes.blogspot.com in your blog - that truly IS a compliment!

It very much is my hope to try and dig down into the facts, and leave the rhetoric behind. There's enough negativity out in the world - those of us who should be working for the same goal should avoid adding to it.

Thanks again - and enjoy - there's a lot here to read!