Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Reader "My Forte" responds to Amber...

While I don't make all comments on the blog into new blog entries, I thought that the following quoted comment was a particularly well-written post by reader "My Forte".
I have been merely a reader of this blog nearly since its inception, but now I find myself compelled to add my comments. I have noticed over the past number of years the continued dichotomy of the citizens of this city and that has increased dramatically over the past year. I will note just the first of my potentially many submitted observations:

Amber, a new poster, begins her diatribe with “This is to all West Haven Borer supporters who do not know what goes on in this town.” This pretentious sentiment has been echoed many times by the current administration’s sycophants recently and further alienates the intelligent populace than can well distinguish between what is partisan rhetoric and fact.

She further states “How dear someone tonight at the meeting saying he (Mr. Wrightington) should be behind bars!” and “Freedom of speech is really not free sense certain people don't let it made free!” (I have not corrected the grammar, as it may be a highly indicative attribute of the author). I believe many have heard Mr. Wrightington, as well as some of his confidantes, profess that the former mayor should befall the same fate. It appears the author’s view of our 1st Amendment shall only apply to those, which she is in agreement with.

It has become abundantly clear to many that the animosity between certain factions of the city have curtailed the possibility of any immediate, or long term, unified progress for this municipality. Further draw the battles lines, profess blame and enmity, for lack of any strategic plan for the betterment of the community, and you may leave us all gasping for air.
I share some of the very same concerns. We shouldn't be worrying about pointing fingers right now - we should be looking into tax solutions.

While I do quote various reader's comments when I try to bring up new opinions and facts, I really don't want this blog to end up becoming nothing more than a slugfest. While I can choose wholesale to publish or not publish a reader's comment on a posting, I can't edit them. Let's try to work together to find solutions and uncover facts - not simply draw battle lines - or else I may have to decide not to publish a particular comment.

1 comment:

West Haven Tax Payer said...

Give me a break... I'm not a basher of anyone at all. I don't 'hate' John Picard -- in fact, from what I've seen, I suspect he's a fairly descent person. If you notice, I don't call him 'Picard'. I call him Mayor Picard - and that's done with respect.

I really have a problem with finger pointing, and some of your posts haven't made it to the blog, as they were intensely antagonistic, and potentially libel.

To be honest, I don't know WHY this blog got mentioned in the New Haven Register. While I know that the reporter was aware of this blog, I hadn't posted here for almost 3 weeks, and was considering letting it die a gentle death. However, SOMEONE brought it up to Mayor Picard... and it wasn't me.

I don't care who is in office. If the former Mayor Borer was in office, and raised my taxes 50%, I'd be just as upset as I am with Mayor Picard. I 100% agree that the bonding practices by the prior administration put us into a financial mess - it's what happened.

I should mention that when Mayor Borer came into office, the *exact* same thing went on that is going on now. Taxes increased astronomically, because of the prior administration. At that time, I figured that it was a tough break, and we'd have to work our way out of it. However when this happens two new administrations in a row, I see a pattern that I don't like. And it has nothing to do with who is in office.

The bottom line is that I want solutions, not finger pointing. If I have facts wrong - tell me about them... and give me the backup sources. I want the truth, not emotional political arguments. So give it to me if I'm wrong -- I want to know where I'm mistaken.